“Back in 2011, men made up about 5% of my total Botox clientele in Singapore. Now coming to the end of 2018, they make up about 10% of that figure, and I reckon it’ll continue to grow!” says Dr. Kelvin Chua, medical director of SL Aesthetic clinic, one of the various aesthetic clinics in Singapore.
Not Why But How
Vanity, job competitiveness, appeal to partners, social (media) pressures, etc.; the list of [reasons why] more men are getting cosmetic treatments such as Botox just keeps getting longer and varied.
“It has come to a point where men do not need convincing or persuasion; in this day and age, men know that some upkeep is required,” says Dr. Gabriel Wong, medical director of SL Aesthetic Clinic.
So the bigger question now is, what cosmetic treatments can be done, and how.
Botox is the famous brand synonymous with botulinum toxin, the key ingredient in the drug.
It is a neurotoxic protein produced by the Clostridium Botulinum bacteria. Botox prevents the communication of nerve signals, and when injected into the muscles, relaxes it.
Cosmetically, Botox is used to relax facial muscles that cause wrinkles, reduce excessive sweating in the palms or armpits, and more.
[Learn more about Dynamix & Static Wrinkles.]
The Male Difference
While Botox works for all sexes, there are some differences in its application between the genders.
The facial muscles in men are larger and more active. Hence, more units of Botox need to be administered in men relative to women in any given area.
[Moreover, the aesthetic objectives differ between men and women.]
There are currently two perspectives in male beauty. Here, we will cover what they are and how you can achieve them. The Classic and The Progressive.
This man is distinguished by very masculine features such as a squarish and strong jaw, low set eyebrows, a square boxy chin, a flat forehead, and a wider face.
You may spot some lines on his face. But these add character, rather than age. There is a fine line between oozing mature sex appeal and just looking plain old and haggard.
The key is in a delicate balance of cosmetic treatments. These can include:
- Minute doses of Botox in the forehead and glabellar to soften (but not erase) the horizontal forehead lines and frown lines
- A touch of dermal fillers on the cheekbones to create a wider, boxier look
- Fillers to create a strong squarish chin
- Lasers to keep your skin looking healthy and refreshed
- HIFU to lift and tighten any sagginess in the lower face, as well as giving your jaw greater definition
A growing trend in East Asian countries is the softer, more feminine aesthetic in men.
This look is characterised by a sharper face, flawless and fairer complexion, fuller cheeks and lips, and little to zero wrinkles or fine lines.
This is not to say that these men look just like women. The Progressives retain the masculine appeal, just to a lesser degree.
Achieving this is more demanding than The Classic. It will be a real test of the doctor’s skills and eye for proportions. One mistake can result in the patient looking pretty rather than handsome.
What you can do to attain The Progressive look include:
- Botox for jaw slimming. This creates a narrower jawline, hence sharpening the face
- Botox to erase all wrinkles and character lines such as Crows’ Feet, Frown Lines, Forehead Lines, etc
- Botox to lift the brows, giving the eyes a brighter, more refreshed look
- Fillers to create a softer set of cheeks and to plump up the lips
- Lasers to smoothen out the complexion as well as remove all unwanted pigmentation
- Diligent use of sunscreen and whitening products
If you’re looking for a professional aesthetic clinic in Singapore for face tightening treatments or you just want to inquire about Botox prices in Singapore, feel free to schedule an appointment with us and we’ll do our best to answer any queries you may have!